Saturday, May 10, 2008

Nettie is a good girl

So I've gotten through the first week (well, five days but you know, who's counting) and I'm very proud of myself so far. I've been such a good girl! Apart from a cupcake at morning tea on Friday at work, I've only eaten nice healthy food and I've gone to the gym everyday. I've even forced myself to start eating a wider range of vegies and that's a huge challenge for me. The only vegies that I've ever really enjoyed are potato, carrot, peas and corn and really, that's not a huge selection. The last time I did this whole eating healthier thing I forced myself to start eating salad (I used to be of the opinion that salad belonged in a sandwich) and now I quite enjoy eating 'rabbit' food on a regular basis. So I figured that it was time again to expand my horizons.

On Thursday we had steak and vegies for dinner. On my plate were 8 kinds of vegies and I made sure I ate them all. I had a mix of mashed potato and sweet potato (I'm trying to ween myself off normal spuds), my regular carrot, peas and corn and I also had beans and broccoli. The broccoli was the hardest of all to finish since I've always hated it. The taste is ok but the texture makes me want to vomit. But I forced myself on and dinner turned out to be a spew-free affair. Lastly I had four pieces of garlic (yum!) plus an argument with Christian as to whether or not garlic is a vegetable. I say it is, he insists it's a herb and in the end I put my foot down and said who cares if it's a herb or vegie, it's healthy and I ate it.

So that has made me rather proud of myself but the other thing that I'm really proud of it the fact that at work I'm being really good. Fridays are always the hardest at work because it's morning tea day but there's so much food that it should be called 'graze for 9 hours on junk' day. If it's right in front of me I just shovel it in like everyone else and then find it hard to stop. I knew it would be hard so I allowed myself the treat and had a cupcake and then made myself stop after that. So that felt really good that I managed that!
Also I've really cut back on the amount of coke zero I've been drinking. It might not have any calories in it but something that colour really can't be good for you and I've been having at least a can a day, sometimes more. I've gone all week and only had one can and since I'm sure I'm actually addicted to the stuff that was a huge accomplishment.

I decided to make Saturday my weigh in day since that's the day I used before for that purpose and it fit in really well. I was actually really looking forward to weighing myself this morning because I know I've been so good and wanted to see the results. So I jumped on the scales and almost died when it showed 82.9kgs. Since I was 85.2 on Monday I was a bit worried that I had lost too much in the first week. I know it can't be fluid because I've been having at least two litres of water a day, usually more. The only thing I can think of is that because my period started during the week, when I weighed myself on Monday I may have been a bit bloated and weighed more than I actually did. Did that make sense? I'm sure to the girls it does. I know I usually weigh a kilo or more heavier when Aunt Irma's about. So hopefully that's just the reason.

I'm sure it'll be clear next Saturday when I jump on the scales again. If I've lost more then I'm sure it was the whole time of the month thing but if I'm just as good as last week but haven't lost any then I guess I'll have to put it down to having lost fluid. But we'll wait and see.
All in all I'm feeling rather motivated now and just hope I can keep it up in the following weeks. I know the first couple of weeks are always the easiest and it will get harder but I'm positive I'm going to stick to it!

4 comments:

Mouse said...

I'm proud of you. :-)
*hugs*

Hieronymous Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you, hon. Especially with your dealing with the temptation on Friday. :-)

If I may suggest something... try veggies in different ways. For example, I thought I hated green beans, but it turns out that I like them fresh, and then stir-fried. Worth a shot.

Shawna said...

Way to go! : )
I agree with Boo, definitely try veggies prepared differently. I'm not a huge fan of celery, but if you add a little peanut butter (not tons), it's pretty good. You can find other things to top it with that are low-cal and low-fat. Oh, watch out for low fat foods, because sometimes they add sugar (for flavor) to replace the fat they take out. And remember that fruits are awesomely good for you too!
Keep up the good work. We're rootin' for you!
*hugs*

LaMa said...

Yay! Well done!

* gives nettie a little treat, than realises that is not a good idea in this context.... *